I boiled some green fig for lunch today. Green figs are unripened bananas. When I was peeling them I remembered my two years studying in Jamaica. "People in Jamaica call green figs "green bananas,!" I reminisced to my aunt as we peeled the figs. "The first time I said, 'green figs" my Jamaican schoolmates ribbed me for saying it! They laughed and said, Is "green banana, girl!" I recalled with a smile. I admit though, that at the time I was both embarrassed and annoyed at their laughter.
It reminded me of an interview that I heard on our Christian radio station yesterday evening. Trinidad and Tobago's two athletes for the Special Olympics, also held in London, were being interviewed by the two announcers. One of them, Kern, is blind. I listened to the young woman as she said that the people in London did not consider the Special Olympians as "different" but treated them as superstars, just like the London Olympians.
This is wonderul, as the treatment of "differently-abled" persons by "normal"persons is not always as caring. But we thank God for the "angels" that are all around us.
God made us in His image and likeness. No matter if our bodies are healthy and well-functioning or not doesn't matter. What matter is that we believe in Jesus and that we ask Him to come into our hearts, become our Savior and wash is from our sins. And just as in a human body, each member has a different function, let us celebrate our differences and do the "good works that God has foreordained for us to do" since before we were born.
Listen to this song, sister and brothers. With all our different faces, races, talents, opinions, we need each othe to survive.The song "I need you to survive" by Jason Dennis
"Because of the kindness that God has shown me, I ask you not to think of yourselves more highly than you should. Instead, your thoughts should lead you to use good judgment based on what God has given each of you as believers. 4Our bodies have many parts, but these parts don't all do the same thing.5In the same way, even though we are many individuals, Christ makes us one body and individuals who are connected to each other. 6God in his kindness gave each of us different gifts." Romans 12: 3 - 6a) God's Word Translation (@1995)
No comments:
Post a Comment